Windows error code 0x80096001 is an error due to compatibility issue between the installed driver and the user. The error occurs while installing updates or when updating windows operating system and the error code goes thus: “windows have stopped this device because it has reported problems”.
As soon as you begin to get this information, the response of your computer will be slow, even when you try to connect USB to your computer.
This error is often caused by damaged windows system files, outdated, corrupted drivers, missing driver, missing windows registry files, or by virus or malware attack. Irrespective of the cause, there must be a way to fix it.
Fixing Windows error code 0x80096001
Solution 1: Disable antivirus and windows firewall temporarily.
Antivirus is known for spotting files in the registry as spam thereby blocking them. So disable the antivirus for a while to clear out the problem and activate it later re-trying the updating.
You can as well turn off the windows defender temporarily by following these steps:
- Go to start (windows key)
- Under “search and program files” type firewall.cpl
- On the left hand side, click on “turn windows firewall on or off”
- Then click on” turn off windows firewall (not recommended) on home or work (private) network locations settings”
- Follow the same process for “public network location settings” and click ok
- Ensure you enable it back after the error is resolved.
Solution 2: System Restore
System restore has been proven again and again to be worthwhile in fixing windows error.
Take these necessary steps:
- Click on start (windows key) on your computer
- Under “search and program files” type system restore
- Click on system restore option
- In the new pop-up page choose your preferable restore point form the restore points list
- Now click next on the new pop-up window
- After click finish on the confirmation window
- Restart your computer after the system restore
However, do not switch off your system during this process of “system restore”.
Solution 3: To repair system files
- Go to start
- Click on all programs
- Tap on accessories
- Right click on command prompt
- Click “run as administrator”
- Type the following command “sfc / scan now” and press enter
- Restart the system after the process might have been finished
Windows error code 0x80096001 is one of the windows errors that shouldn’t be taken lightly for it can lead to system crash. And it occurs during updating processes and it is often caused among many reasons by virus or malware attack on the operating system, missing files or failure to uninstall drivers or application successfully.
However it can be fixed manually and automatically, manually by disabling the antivirus and windows firewall temporarily, restoring the system to an earlier date or by repairing the system files. It can also be fixed automatically by downloading Windows error code 0x80096001 repair utility online to help you fix it.